Beautiful views, distracting background noise. Kind of like other areas in our lives. Looks good from the outside but doesn't feel good to be there.
Waikiki beach in Hawaii is the stuff dreams are made of. Clear water, sweet surf, breathtaking sunsets. It looks as good in person as it does in the travel brochures.
My work has brought me here several time this year. I thought maybe it was the fact that I was working instead of playing that left me feeling not-quite-right about it. This morning I stopped long enough to listen, and this is what I heard.
Traffic noise. City traffic. Garbage trucks backing up. Buses honking horns. Police sirens. I look at the ocean and can't hear the surf. There is so much more to happiness than the physical aspect of how we look, where we live, what we drive, and who we love.
The bigger questions are:
1. How does it feel to be in your skin, in your car, in your home, in your head?
2. Are you pretending it doesn't hurt when it really does?
3. Are you thinking if you ignore the problem it will go away?
4. Are you waiting for someone to rescue you?
5. Are you hatching an escape plan?
6. Are you staying too busy to notice your feelings at all because if you did, you might have to do something you're not prepared to do?
I'm answering these questions in my journal today. How about you?
Kim Halsey is a woman with more questions than answers. She is not a brand, a label, easily understood or readily ignored.
As a realistic optimist, Kim believes that we are bigger than whatever life can throw at us and better equipped than we know.
Her heart's desire is to create a safe place, be a safe person, and leave a path for others to follow.
Are you ready to stop dieting and start living?
Like Us, Link Us, Share Us